December 26, 2009

Best of the Dec80s (get it? " Decade" + "1980's " ?)

Ok, on to the 80's! My "expansion" decade, ages 14 - 23, of not only music but life in general -- girls, paychecks, cars, alcohol, even a touch of higher education. Heck, I think I even got married at some point during the decade...

New Wave/Alternative, New Traditionalist, Christian Rock, Live Aid and Do They Know It's Christmas?, mix tapes and The Monsters of Rock tour...

U2, The Replacements, Elvis Costello, Hoodoo Gurus, Tom Petty, Van Morrison, Police, Waterboys, BoDeans, X, Prince, R.E.M., R.E.M., R.E.M. !

Charlie Peacock, Keith Green, Petra (no, not Stryper), 77s, Altar Boys...


Dwight Yoakam,  George Strait, Randy Travis, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett, Keith Whitley, Willie & Waylon...

day 2 of 80's quest: I'm noticing songs from my All-Time Album list don't always make the Song of the Decade list, and not all my favorite can't-live-without songs from just 11+ months ago have been included either... the 80's of course begot the compact disc and my first sound system, a 4 ft high stacked Panasonic system in a lovely faux-wood cabinet; cost me $1100 (which I always remember since my first truck a few months later was $11,000)... seriously debated for days what the inaugural disc would be -- Beatles or U2? Joshua Tree won the battle... fed up with commercials after every couple of songs leads to country stations that play "12 in row!" and a crush on Wynonna Judd... a crush on a blonde leads to roadtrips to the Coliseum for U2 and the Monsters of Rock tour... not sure exactly when I "discovered" Van Morrison but must have been towards the end of the decade...


Albums listened to the most in the 1980's:
  • Tunnel of Love, Springsteen
  • Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum, U2
  • Pleased to Meet Me, Replacements
  • Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc. and Buenos Noches From a Lonely Room, Dwight Yoakam
  • Reckoning and Document, R.E.M.
  • Purple Rain, Prince & The Revolution
  • So, Peter Gabriel
  • 1984, Van Halen
  • Back in Black, AC/DC (daily in 1980 on cassette+boombox)
  • The Lexicon of Love, ABC
  • Rain on the Scarecrow, J C Mellencamp
  • Introducing the Hardline..., Terence Trent D'Arby
  • The Best Of..., Elvis Costello & The Attractions
  • In My Tribe, 10,000 Maniacs
  • Pontiac, Lyle Lovett
  • Songs From The Big Chair, Tears For Fears
  • Full Moon Fever, Tom Petty
  • Graceland, Paul Simon
  • See How Are We Are, X
  • Storms of Life, Randy Travis
  • Why Not Me, The Judds
did I miss anything?




No comments: